Sencha green tea is a very popular type of green tea that is consumed all over the world. It is characterized by its fresh and herbal aroma and is very soft and sweet.
Do you want to know why we brought it to Matchaflix? Come with me, I'll tell you.
The origins of sencha tea
Originally from Japan, it is believed to have originated in the Uji region of Kyoto Prefecture, back in the 17th century.
Its history dates back to the Edo period of Japanese history, which spans from the 17th century to the 19th century. During this time, tea became a very popular drink in Japan and different methods of production and preparation were created, each more novel.
As early as the 18th century, the sencha tea production method we know today began to develop specifically in the Uji region. This method involves steaming freshly picked tea leaves to stop oxidation, followed by a quick drying process to preserve the flavor and aroma of the tea.
It quickly became a highly prized drink in Japan and became one of the most widely consumed varieties of tea throughout the country. So much so that it is produced in many of its regions and consumed throughout the world.
Main health benefits of sencha
Sencha green tea is a very special drink. In addition to its delicious taste, it is full of benefits so good for your health that you cannot leave without learning about them: from its high antioxidant content, to its ability to regulate blood sugar levels and strengthen the immune system. Do not miss this opportunity to take care of yourself and enjoy!
- High Antioxidant Content – Helps fight free radicals and protects cells from oxidative damage.
- Helps concentration : thanks to its L-theanine content, it improves brain function and increases concentration.
- Promotes Weight Loss – Sencha green tea speeds up metabolism and reduces fat accumulation.
- Regulates blood sugar levels and improves insulin sensitivity.
- Strengthens the immune system : Its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds help prevent diseases and strengthen the immune system.
And how is it made?
One of the things that strikes me the most about all the infusions I work with is knowing and understanding the production process, from growing and harvesting to serving to consume.
In the case of sencha, the producers start with young tea leaves that have undergone a steaming and immediate drying process and are harvested by hand or by machine in spring or in the summer season. To produce the highest quality sencha tea, the young, tender leaves of the plant are harvested.
After harvesting, the tea leaves go through a steaming process for about 30 seconds. These leaves are rapidly cooled to stop any residual oxidation processes, helping to preserve the natural flavor and aroma of the tea. Already in the rolling phase, the leaves are given shape and texture, which helps to release the oils and flavor of the tea during infusion.
Next, we enter the drying phase at low temperature, preserving the flavor and quality. After drying, the tea is stored in a cool, dry place to protect it from moisture and heat.
You can see that it is not an extremely complex process, but it is very meticulous to get the best out of the plant.
What do you think if now I teach you how to prepare a good ice cream sencha? Cheer up, the temperatures are rising!
Iced Sencha Green Tea: The Recipe
Iced sencha green tea is not only easy to make, it tastes great! Here is this simple recipe so you can prepare it at home and enjoy at any time of the day:
You will need these ingredients:
- 2 teaspoons of sencha green tea leaves
- 1 liter of filtered water
- Optional: fresh mint, lemon, or honey for flavor
Now follow these steps:
- In a teapot or container, add the tea.
- Boil the water and pour it into the kettle with the tea. Let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Strain the tea and pour it into a pitcher.
- Add ice to fill the pitcher and stir to chill the tea.
- Serve in glasses and decorate with fresh mint, lemon or honey to taste.
Ready! To enjoy a refreshing and very, very healthy drink. You already know that I always have some promotion available to give you access to high-quality and beneficial infusions. Enter the store and take advantage of them!